Acting for Film (Online, Ages 14-17)
Starts July 12
Monday-Friday, July 12-16, 1-4pm
Dream of acting on the big screen? Ready to unleash your acting potential and sharpen your character toolkit? This camp will guide you through the techniques and methods for engaging yourself in more effective performances for acting on screen. From casting, rehearsal, to performing in front of the camera, we’ll discuss each step of the acting for film process. We’ll practice acting with mini-scripts, study various monologues and dialogues, become familiar with technical terms encountered on set, and examine character studies and on-camera acting examples. We’ll focus on techniques for being natural in front of the camera and practice conveying emotions through performance exercises. No prior acting experience required.
Students may be asked to record themselves doing scene work and should have access to a mobile phone, iPad, or camera with video capabilities.
NOTE: Participation in this online camp requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance, it is highly recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. For extra security, a few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link, ID, and password needed to access this class on Zoom. The instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
Erin Roberts is an actor, teacher, and coach, transplanted from New York City. Erin recently appeared on stage at The Minneapolis Fringe Festival, won the 2018 Audience Pick Award for her one woman show My 4 Bodies, and was voted Favorite Supporting Actor in the New York International Fringe Festival. Film and television credits include ESPN’s The Bronx Is Burning, Law and Order SVU, The Good Wife, Investigation Discovery’s Never Say Goodbye, Lady Dynamite, The Royal Tenenbaums, Celebrity, MLB Fan Cave’s Boston Ink, and the web series FEM 101, now streaming exclusively on seekatv.com. She has several commercials running and has done numerous print campaigns, live events, and works as the on field correspondent for the Saint Paul Saints. Erin has a Bachelor of Arts in Directing from Smith College, a Masters of Fine Arts in Acting from Penn State University, studied with The National Theatre Institute, The Royal Shakespeare Company, and is a member of The Guthrie Theatre’s Actor’s Workout. She has taught various acting, voice and movement classes at Penn State, Queens College and has been a guest artist at Minneapolis College, AMDA, Northern Stage Company, Improbable Fiction, Invisible City Theatre Company, and Laguardia High School for the Performing Arts.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Manager; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Manager, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.