- This event has passed.
Basics of Motion Graphics with Adobe After Effects [In-Person]
Starts July 23
1 session: Saturday, July 23, 10am-4pm
This workshop offers a solid introduction to Adobe After Effects with a focus on basic animation with text, and creating and animating shapes. We’ll begin by covering the After Effects interface, then you’ll create a composition and various shapes. You’ll then learn how to work with keyframes and properties to animate objects and export them to share. After getting comfortable with these key functions, you’ll have a chance to experiment, learn to animate to music, and make a more complex animation. There is a lunch break.
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 guidance for Ramsey County:
- Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19.
- People may choose to mask at any time.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Free masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Tuition: $185 regular | $140 member | $105 low-income
Jila Nikpay is a writer and director who explores the theme of migration and cultural identity in her work through fiction, documentary, and experimental genres. Her work has received multiple awards from the Jerome Foundation, the Minnesota States Arts Board, and the McKnight Foundation.
Jila’s films include Objects of Love (2020), Soliloquy (2019), Dreaming with Lola (2016), Happy Republic (2015), Divided (2014), Ways of Becoming (2013), Hour of the Dark (2011), In Waiting (2008), Labyrinth (2007), Rhythm of Tides (2007), Keepers of the Garden (2004), and Shroud and Torrent (2003). Her films have been screened at Minneapolis/St. Paul International Film Festival, the Walker Art Center, Austin Asian American Film Festival, Tehran’s House of Artists, and broadcast on the Twin Cities Public Television and ShortsTV channel.
Jila has served as a member of the selection committee for the Jerome Foundation Media Arts Grant, the Minnesota State Arts Board, and as a juror for the Minneapolis-Saint Paul Italian Film Festival. She holds an MFA in film production and taught film courses at various universities and film collectives.
This activity is made possible by a 2022 Minnesota State Arts Board Creative Support for Individuals grant.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.