Cinematography 101 (Online, Ages 14-17)
Starts July 19
Monday-Friday, July 19-23, 1-4pm
This hands-on camp is the perfect opportunity to learn the fundamentals of visual storytelling with an emphasis on camera work. Cinematography concepts and best practices will be discussed in-depth by the instructor, and students will view examples of compelling camera work. Participants should come prepared with a typed-up idea for a short video that can easily be filmed at home. Using a cell phone or tablet, participants will learn how to effectively tell their story while creating dynamic compositions, lighting strategies, camera angles and movements. Students will learn how to edit their videos in Adobe Premiere Pro. No previous experience necessary.
Students should have their iPhone or Android phone (and charger) with at least 3GB of space available. iPads are also welcome. Students will also need access to a desktop or laptop computer with a 1-week free trial of Adobe Premiere Pro installed. Other free video editing options students can download are iMovie (Mac), Davinci Resolve and HitFilm Express (Mac & PC).
NOTE: Participation in this online camp requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance, it is highly recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. For extra security, a few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link, ID, and password needed to access this class on Zoom. The instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
Brandon Mitchell is a graduate of Southeast Missouri State University in Mass Communication and Minneapolis Community and Technical College’s Cinematography Program. He has worked in both television and film. His experience ranges from filming live camera productions to scripted short films.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Manager; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Manager, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.