Cinematography Boot Camp [In-Person]
Starts July 30
2 sessions: Saturday-Sunday, July 30-31, 10am-4pm
This workshop covers the principles of cinematography through an in-depth examination of camera controls and movement, lenses, composition, lighting (tungsten and LED), and visual language. Activities include lecture, viewing of film scenes, and hands-on camera and lighting exercises. Students will be exposed to such cameras as FilmNorth’s Canon EOS C100, the Sony FS7, DSLRs, compact mirrorless cameras, plus some rigs, sliders, lenses, and lights from the instructor’s inventory. Students are encouraged to bring their own cameras. There is a lunch break each session.
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 guidance for Ramsey County:
- Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19.
- People may choose to mask at any time.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Free masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Tuition: $265 regular | $205 member | $160 low-income
Jeremy Wilker, owner of TWEAK Digital, loves making moving images and has created works—in documentary, commercial, narrative, and political forms—for businesses and organizations near (Golden Valley) and far (Hong Kong). He has run or assisted with several successful Kickstarter campaigns (for his feature films Death To Prom and TRIUMPH67), consults and trains on workflow, software, and crowdfunding, and has spent many years in the print and graphics world. Jeremy is a longtime FilmNorth member, serves on the FilmNorth board and the Professional Advisory Board of the University of Wisconsin Stout, and volunteers with the Flyway Film Festival. When he isn’t creating imagery, Jeremy might be found snowboarding or playing with his two children.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.