- This event has passed.
Creating & Selling Reality TV [In-Person]
Starts August 6
1 session: Saturday, August 6, 10am-4pm
From concept to series, this course provides a comprehensive look at how to create, develop, pitch, sell, produce, and deliver 21st century reality television programming. You’ll receive all the tools and feedback needed to jump into the nonscripted television world in an interactive environment for creating and refining your ideas. The course is taught by writer/producer/director Bo Kaprall, who has been creating, producing, and selling nonscripted shows (from Minneapolis) for over thirty years. He continues to work with everyone from Discovery to HGTV and Comedy Central. There is a lunch break.
The course will cover:
- Importance of concept
- Importance of talent
- Sizzle reels
- Getting representation
- Delivering the goods
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 guidance for Ramsey County:
- Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19.
- People may choose to mask at any time.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Free masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Tuition: $190 regular | $145 member | $110 low-income
Bo Kaprall has been a television show creator, creative director, writer, producer, executive producer, and actor for thirty years. Starting in Chicago as a writer/producer in the advertising business (Post, Keyes, & Gardner), he also worked as an actor at Chicago’s Second City. He is currently executive producing his new television series Outlaw Country for WGN America, and developing reality shows for everyone from A&E to Discovery. Bo recently completed two original half-hour web series for General Mills.
In the late ’70s Bo moved to Los Angeles where he started the Comedy Store Players and joined Kentucky Fried Theatre (Kentucky Fried Movie, Airplane, Police Squad). He then went on to write and produce several network series including Laverne & Shirley, Aaron Spelling’s Friends, Norman Lear’s Year At the Top, and over thirty network pilots. In addition, he has written for variety shows and situation comedies, from The Carol Burnett Show and Cher to Welcome Back, Kotter.
In the late ’80s Bo moved to Minneapolis, where he started his own creative production company focusing on humorous radio and television commercials and corporate communications in addition to reality television series. Over the years Bo has created and executive produced shows for ABC, CBS, NBC, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, Discovery, TLC, and HGTV.
Bo has recorded, written, and produced over 5,000 radio commercials, winning several Cleo and Radio Best Awards. He has appeared as an actor on over 75 television shows, the latest being Law & Order and Third Watch.
As a freelance and staff Creative Director (BI Worldwide), Bo has worked with several Fortune 500 companies, such as Best Buy, Rubbermaid, Schmidt Beer, Target, Pizza Hut, Verizon, DirecTV, Starz Network, Northwest Airlines, Sears Optical, Miller Beer, and much more.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.