- This event has passed.
FilmNorth Academy 2022
Starts June 20
3 weeks (15 sessions): June 20-24, July 18-22, and July 25-29. Meeting times: 1-4pm.
This in-person summer program is designed for students (ages 17-24) currently studying film or interested in a career in film. Students will gain insight into different aspects of narrative filmmaking as they work through developing, scripting, shooting, and editing their own short films. Together with the instructor, students will develop original ideas and collaboratively write scripts, make storyboards, and build pitches for their projects. Taking their scripts, they will deep dive into production, gaining hands-on experience using cameras, lights, and sound equipment to take professional-quality footage. Once the principle and b-roll footage has been captured, students will spend time editing their projects using industry-standard editing software, resulting in a highly developed and professional finished film. Through this course, students will practice collaboration, ideation, critical thinking, filmmaking tools, time management, and creative confidence. Students will have the opportunity to hear from other filmmaking professionals in the area, and learn about other career opportunities.
During the first week students meet with guest artists as they develop story ideas, pitch films, and write short scripts. The group then chooses a couple of scripts to produce and forms filmmaking teams. There is a three-week break between week one and two, during which scripts are finalized and pre-production is done (arranging locations, talent, costumes, props, set design, etc.). Production takes place during week two and films are edited during week three.
A note about Covid: As it stands, the plan for this course is to be in-person. FilmNorth will be monitoring the state of Covid and making decisions about safety as the situation unfolds. If necessary, his course may be adapted to an online format.
Tuition: $350 regular | $200 low-income
If you have questions about the program contact Deacon.
Watch the 2019 FilmNorth Academy group project!
Deacon Warner has led youth programming at FilmNorth since 2007. As Youth Programs Director, he expanded youth programming to include after school programming, summer camps, in-school residencies and professional opportunities. Deacon also oversees the Twin Cities Young Filmmaker Coalition, a student-led network of college-age filmmakers, and is lead instructor for FilmNorth Academy, a summer institute for students pursuing a career in film. As an independent filmmaker, he has produced and directed a number of short documentaries including the award winning Bee-Sharp Honeybee and Peaceful Warriors: on the road with Vets for Peace. Deacon recently completed his first feature documentary, The Co-op Wars, which played in film festivals and aired on Twin Cities PBS (tpt). Before working at FilmNorth, Deacon was a social studies teacher at North High in Minneapolis and founder of the Polar Producers after-school documentary team.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of this course, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another course if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first course session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of the start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed course sessions.
- For participants under the age of 18, the FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the first course session.
- All participants must complete the FILMNORTH APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM and submit it prior to the first course session.
- Please print, complete and return the form(s) (downloadable below) by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Director; or 2) mailing to Youth Programs Director, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed form(s) to the first session. Students are not permitted to attend without submitting the completed form(s).