Fundamentals of Digital Photography: DSLR & Mirrorless [In-Person]
Starts July 18
4 sessions: Mondays, July 18-August 8, 6:30-9:30pm
Did you purchase a DSLR or mirrorless camera with the intention of taking family photos or documenting your travels but never got around to learning how to properly use it? This course is designed to teach students the basics of DSLR and mirrorless digital photography and will cover concepts like aperture, depth of field, and exposure, which are integral to maximizing the quality of your images. Weekly assignments will be given that are designed to help students practice and apply to their own photography the basic concepts and techniques presented.
Week One: Focusing and composition
Week Two: Exposure
Week Three: Depth of field and shutter speed
Week Four: Flash photography
- Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) or mirrorless camera and at least one lens required. Flash is optional (flash techniques will be discussed in the final class). Students are encouraged to bring their cameras (and camera manuals) to class so they can have specific questions answered about their gear.
- Students are expected print one 8×10 print for class critique, as well as a contact sheet of images taken for each assignment (details will be discussed during the first class session).
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 guidance for Ramsey County:
- Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19.
- People may choose to mask at any time.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Free masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Tuition: $245 regular | $185 member | $140 low-income
Tom Baker is a freelance photographer based in Minneapolis. He has a degree in photojournalism from the University of Montana School of Journalism and has been freelancing since 2007. He has worked at the Havre Daily News in Havre, MT, The Dalles Chronicle in The Dalles, OR, and the Portland Tribune in Portland, OR. His work has been published in the Star Tribune, MPR News, Associated Press, POLITICO, Agence-France Presse, Montana Standard, Draft Magazine, Rochester Magazine, and others.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.