Indie Film Financing with Stu Pollard
Starts June 17
In-person. Saturday, June 17, 9:00 am-3:45 pm
Presented by filmmaker Stu Pollard (Rust Creek, Plus One, Bass Ackwards), who has raised more than $10 million in production funds over the course of his career, this workshop is ideal for both narrative and documentary filmmakers preparing to write independent film business plans targeting angel investors.
Focused on the key elements that should be in place to create a film business plan—as well as structure, layout, research, and presentation—this workshop will also provide insights on the ethics and psychology of selling high-risk investments, tools for making your deal more attractive, guidelines for identifying prospects, and tips for maintaining long-term relationships with financial partners.
Participants will leave with a clear, real-world strategy for writing a coherent, thoughtful, and powerful business plan. Space is limited so reserve your spot now. This is a rare chance to experience the course in person outside of Los Angeles.
There is a lunch break.
Tuition: $220 regular | $175 member | $140 low-income
Mr. Pollard will offer a limited number of individual 25-minute consultations to participants with film projects to be scheduled to occur following the workshop between 4:00 and 6:00 pm. Application is required; consultation fee is $25. Click here to apply. Once approved, a link will be emailed to you to complete the consultation payment.
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Stu Pollard’s popular Business Plan/Private Equity class is one of Film Independent’s most enduring and successful courses – it has sold out each of the 40+ times he’s taught it over the past decade plus. With twenty plus years of filmmaking experience, Stu has plenty of production knowledge to share. His producing credits include Rust Creek, And Then I Go, Men Go to Battle, True Adolescents, Dirty Country, Ira & Abby, and the just released Going Nowhere.
Stu’s Lunacy Productions has numerous projects in development, including the riveting two-hander The Man Who Knew Belle Starr (based on the award-winning Richard Bausch short story); the uproarious southern political satire Wonderdog (based on the novel by Inman Majors); and Alas, Babylon, a post-apocalyptic survival parable based on Pat Frank’s classic Cold War era novel.
Stu has directed two features: the rom-com Nice Guys Sleep Alone and the suspense drama Keep Your Distance. In his spare time, he teaches at Film Independent and on his online platform LunacyU. He holds a degree in business from Georgetown, an MFA in film from USC, and is a member of both the PGA and DGA.
Can’t attend on the 17th? Email email@example.com to receive a coupon code for the online version at LunacyU.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.
- By registering for this FilmNorth class you are agreeing to our Community Values Statement.