Introduction to Adobe Premiere [In-Person]
Starts February 5
2 sessions: Saturday-Sunday, February 5-6, 10am-4pm
So you’ve shot your film and you have 1TB of footage on your hard drive–now what? We can help. Through both demonstration and hands-on learning, the instructor will take you through two actual projects from start to finish, covering the foundational basics of narrative and documentary editing (organizing, managing and importing your media; making sense of Premiere’s panel and timeline interface; working with audio; trimming clips and using other tools to ultimately build a rough and fine cut; helpful keyboard shortcuts; applying transitions; adding titles; simple color correction; and exporting your project). We’ll also go over editing concepts, vocabulary, and storytelling strategies to help you make those tough decisions on the cutting room floor. These basics will leave you empowered to create your own videos! Footage will be provided by the instructor. iMacs provided; students are welcome to bring laptops (Mac or PC). Bring headphones or earbuds for lab time. There is a lunch break each session.
- Introduction to class and student intros
- What is editing?
- Editing narrative
- Project #1
- Setting up your project
- Importing video & audio
- Marking Clips – selecting areas of your clips to use in an edit
- Editing – drag and drop editing
- Editing shortcuts
- Practice editing time
- Refining your edit–adding transitions, fades to black
- Adding cutaways, working with layers
- Practice refinements
- Sound– creating audio crossfades, managing audio levels, adding sound effects
- Practice audio
- Color adjustments – simple color correction
- Practice color correction
- Media management
- Editing documentary
- Project #2
- Briefly cover a paper edit
- Radio edit–laying out all the audio first
- Practice radio edit
- Working with b-roll
- Practice fine cutting
- Titles (MOGRTS and Essential Graphics)
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth currently requires proof of full vaccination (initial shots + booster) for all in-person classes and events or a negative PCR Covid test result (required for every class session) within 48 hours of the class/event. In addition, all participants of FilmNorth in-person classes and events must wear N95, KN95, or KF94 masks.
Tuition: $245 regular | $185 member | $140 low-income
Gisell Calderón is a filmmaker and artist based in the Twin Cities. She has shown work at the Walker Arts Center, Trylon Cinema, Bryant Lake Theater, and on PBS. She is an MRAC Next Step Fund recipient and has explored her artistry in various national artist residencies. Gisell currently works as a freelance videographer and editor and is always working towards equity and inclusion in her filmmaking practice.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.