Introduction to Adobe After Effects
Starts October 13
In person. 4 sessions: Thursdays, October 13-November 3, 6:30-9:30pm
After Effects is the leading software for producing cutting-edge motion graphics and visual effects. In this course you’ll learn the basics of navigating the After Effects user interface and how to organize files to create a great production flow. Class projects will take us through: animating titles and objects, compositing elements into a scene, creating 3D projects from 2D assets, and the basics of visual effects. iMacs provided; students with PC laptops are welcome. Bring headphones or earbuds for lab time, plus a hard drive or 32GB USB flash drive to back up course files.
- Introductions and tour of user interface setup
- Rendering and exporting
- File-saving structure
- Basics of animation
- Animating objects with easing and interpolation
- Simple masking and layers
- Parenting and precomposing
- Adding simple effects to a scene
- Motion tracking for visual effects
- Compositing assets
- Removing unwanted items from footage
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 guidance for Ramsey County:
- Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19.
- People may choose to mask at any time.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Free masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Tuition: $245 regular | $185 member | $140 low-income
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.