Introduction to Visual Storytelling
Starts October 14
In-person. 1 session: Saturday, October 14, 1:00-4:00 pm
This workshop examines a range of moving image practices through an introduction to the basic technical processes and aesthetic principles used in filmmaking. You’ll be introduced to the various moving image forms and systems deployed in cinematic artwork. Through light examination of the tools every filmmaker has at their fingertips, and the pioneers who use them the best, this workshop will start the budding cinephile down a path towards intelligent film analysis and construction. Students will experience hands-on work in the basic use of video cameras, tripods, and sound recording, becoming familiar with the theory, practice, and vocabulary of basic production techniques. You’ll leave with a completed short film. This workshop is an ideal companion to our Cinema Production Basics course.
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
Tuition: $105 regular | $80 member | $60 low-income
Peter Grendle loves art. After a BA in Moving Image Arts from the College of Santa Fe, Grendle crewed numerous New Mexico film productions including No Country for Old Men, joined the faculty at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design, and made the backyard horror film Blood Soaked, which scored the Audience Choice Award at the Pollygrind Film Festival and a DVD pressing from Wild Eye Releasing. Upon receiving a Communicator Award, a Best Theater Manager distinction from the Santa Fe Reporter, and an Unsung Hero of the Arts achievement from the Santa Fe New Mexican, Grendle retired from nearly 20 years of managing every art-house cinema in Santa Fe, NM and moved with his family to the Twin Cities in hopes of finally seeing the aurora borealis in person.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those needing to cancel a registration at least 7 days prior to the first class session, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received less than 7 days prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to the first class session, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.
- By registering for this FilmNorth class you are agreeing to our Community Values Statement.