iPhone Photography – Light & Portraits [In-Person]
Starts November 13
1 session: Saturday, November 13, 1-4pm
Without light, photography would be impossible, but most of us don’t really understand how light works, or how to use it to make good photos. In this beginning-level workshop, you’ll learn the basics of soft and hard lighting, color temperature, and how the direction of light affects your images.
We’ll also cover how you can use available light to make better photos of people, whether they’re formal portraits or snapshots of friends and family. And we’ll learn about inexpensive ways you can modify light, and how to make an inexpensive DIY lighting kit.
Lastly, we’ll discuss how you can quickly and easily touch up your portraits, right on your iPhone, using some (free!) apps.
Things to know:
- No previous photography experience required.
- This is a lecture and demonstration workshop—using dozens of the instructor’s own iPhone photos as examples—with plenty of time for Q&A.
- This workshop is specifically geared to the iPhone.
NOTE: this in-person course will be held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. In order to participate, participants (students and instructors) will be required to show proof of full Covid-19 vaccination at the start of the workshop and wear masks at all times inside the FilmNorth facility. We thank you for helping keep FilmNorth and our community safe! Be advised that this course may switch to online should Covid circumstances warrant it.
Tuition: $85 regular | $60 member | $40 low-income
Eric Mueller is an artist, photographer, and teacher. Known for his graphic style and strength in composition, his photographs have been exhibited in dozens of group shows, including at the Plains Art Museum, the Devos Art Museum, the Midwest Center for Photography, Head On Photo Festival, the Southeast Center for Photography, and the Columbus Museum of Art. He has been recognized with awards by American Photography, The Photo Review, the iPhone Photography Awards, and the Mobile Photography Awards. He has over 40,000 followers on Instagram.
Mueller’s first photography book, Family Resemblance, was recently published by Daylight Books. The project—which documents and celebrates people who are genetically related and bear a strong resemblance to each other—was inspired by seeing a photograph of his birth mother for the first time.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.