Starts July 24
Ages 13-17. July 24-28, 9:00 am-12:00 pm
This introductory level camp is designed to acquaint students with the elements of visual storytelling using a digital video camera and editing software. Students will plan, shoot, and edit short exercises demonstrating a basic understanding of continuity, shot sizes, and camera angles. Students will also learn common editing techniques for narrative and documentary film using Adobe Premiere Pro.
Khalid Ali is a filmmaker and educator from Baltimore, Maryland. Originally trained as a commercial filmmaker in Los Angeles, Khalid developed an interest in documentary film when he began traveling to China with his older brother. Intrigued by the ability of his camera to bridge cultural differences, his experiences there evolved into a series of documentaries about Chinese urban culture, particularly on the margins of society. Since returning home Khalid has applied the same approach to filmmaking in his native Baltimore. Whether in China or the US, his films follow people toiling in humble jobs but who aspire to greatness. Together, their stories show how work can define or defy one’s identity. Before relocating to the Twin Cities, Khalid taught filmmaking for 11 years at Carver Center for Arts & Technology in Baltimore County. He became the Cinematic Arts Instructor at Perpich Arts High School in 2022.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Director; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.
FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM