Music Video Production
Starts July 17
Ages 14-17. July 17-21, 1:00-5:00 pm
Students will work with a local band to plan, shoot, edit, and release an original music video – all in the span of five days. Beginning with a survey of the masters, from Chuck Statler to Spike Jonze, the camp quickly moves into pre-production: meeting the band members and developing a script and storyboard for the video. Students work with professional cameras and lighting over the course of two days of production, involving both location and studio shoots, and edit with Adobe Premiere Pro (for Mac) on the final day. Be advised, drummers can’t unplug – earplugs recommended!
Deacon Warner led youth programming at FilmNorth from 2007-2019. As Youth Programs Director, he expanded youth programming to include after school programming, summer camps, in-school residencies and professional opportunities. As an independent filmmaker, he has produced and directed a number of short documentaries and music videos including the award winning Bee-Sharp Honeybee and Peaceful Warriors: on the road with Vets for Peace. Deacon’s first feature documentary, The Co-op Wars, is currently available for streaming at TPT.org/co-opwars. His latest music video, “Spider in the Bathtub,” created for the Twin Cities band 13 Howell, premiered at the White Bear Center for the Arts in February 2023. Before working at FilmNorth, Deacon was a social studies teacher at North High in Minneapolis and founder of the Polar Producers after-school documentary team.
WATCH A PRIOR YEAR’S CAMP VIDEO!
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Director; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.
FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM