- This event has passed.
Pixelation Animation: Get Physical!
Starts July 25
Ages 10-14. July 25-29, 9am-12pm
Students will explore embodied filmmaking through pixelation techniques. Pixelation is a stop motion animation technique in which the body is the subject in the frame (as opposed to inanimate objects or drawings). Through guided improvisation exercises, students will learn how to break down movements and gestures into tiny increments for each frame, acting as a stop motion puppet. In addition, they will practice collaboration and how to communicate ideas when working with actors – skills important for directing in film.
Students will walk away from the class with their own pixelation film as well as the skills and understanding of how to create such a film. Students should bring journals and wear comfortable clothing for moving around. All movement abilities are welcome. Students should also have access to phones with cameras, and should download the following free software: iMovie and Stop Motion Studio.
A note about Covid: As it stands, the plan for this course is to be in-person. FilmNorth will be monitoring the state of Covid and making decisions about safety as the situation unfolds. This course may be adapted to an online format if things are deemed unsafe.
Sarah Abdel-Jelil is a Mauritanian-American filmmaker, dancer, and choreographer based in Minneapolis, MN. Having grown up in eight different countries in a multicultural home, her artwork explores notions of home, movement, and liminal spaces. Her current practice of dance time-lapse combines durational performance with time-lapse photography as a way of inviting people to move in tandem with the cycles of the natural world. She is passionate about arts education and has led workshops with students of various ages from primary school to university.
Sarah holds a BA in cinema and media studies from Carleton College and is a recipient of the 2019/20 MCAD-Jerome Foundation Fellowship for Early Career Artists and the 2017 Minnesota State Arts Board Artist Initiative Grant. Her work has been screened at numerous venues and festivals including the Twin Cities Arab Film Festival, St. Cloud Film Fest, and Altered Aesthetics Film Festival. She has completed various residencies including one at Caldera Arts Center in Sisters, OR, and Château de La Napoule in Mandelieu-La Napoule, France.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Director; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Director, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.