- This event has passed.
Starts August 19
In-Person. 1 session: Saturday, August 19, 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Filmmakers say that sound is 50% of your movie, but what does that mean in practice? This workshop will bolster your knowledge of best practices for capturing excellent production audio, whether you’re a one-person doc crew or seeking a career in the sound department. Activities emphasize hands-on exercises with gear and practical setups on a film set, and we’ll include some lecture time on the physics of sound. We’ll also cover some of the tools available for post-production and how to best prepare on-set audio for a smooth post. Some prior filmmaking experience is preferred but not essential. Bring a pair of good headphones. There is a lunch break.
The gear to be demonstrated and utilized includes:
- Mixers/Recorders: Sound Devices 633/MixPre3 ii, Lectrosonics PDR
- Microphones: Sennheiser 416, Schoeps CMIT 5U/CCM 4/CCM 8/CCM 41, Oktava MK-012 modular, Sanken COS-11D lavalier, DPA 6060, Countryman B6 lavalier, Lectrosonics M152 lavalier, Sennheiser 2000 series wireless, Lectrosonics SMQV/WM/SRb, Audio Ltd Digital Wireless
- Power supply options: timecode slate and sync boxes, K-Tek K102/K202 boom poles, plus mixer bags and harnesses
The instructor is a pro. He knows his stuff from spending a lot of time on set, and he was generous to share his years of tech wisdom with hands-on demonstrations and helpful, practical discussions. —Summer 2023 student
The course exceeded my high expectations—I learned so much about production sound mixing! —Summer 2023 student
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Tuition: $185 regular | $140 member | $105 low-income
Owen Brafford has worked in media production for over 10 years. He’s worked in many fields, including narrative, documentary, broadcast, corporate, event, music videos, and avant-garde and experimental material. He’s worked on nearly 30 features—more than half of which has been in the sound department—and copresented a seminar on filmmaking at several Minnesota community colleges. Before settling into audio, he worked in the production, art, grip, and camera departments. He writes and performs music, listens to too much metal, and loves to geek out.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those needing to cancel a registration at least 7 days prior to the first class session, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received less than 7 days prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to the first class session, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.
- By registering for this FilmNorth class you are agreeing to our Community Values Statement.