Reclaiming the LGBTQ+ Narrative
Starts July 11
Ages 15-17. July 11-15, 1-4pm
Students will watch and discuss film scenes featuring LGBTQ+ characters, break down themes, dialogue, and shots used to tell the story. They’ll take this knowledge and use it to make their own films. They’ll write, direct, and edit their own monologues about their LGBTQIA2+ experience whether they are questioning their identity or are certain of it. At the end of the week, students will showcase their finished short films at a special outdoor film festival just for them.
Students should be prepared with their iPhone, iPad, or Android devices: devices should have 3GB of free space, and they should bring their chargers. Devices should also have one of two free film editing softwares downloaded to the device: iMovie or FilmoraGo. Students are also encouraged to bring notebooks.
A note about Covid: As it stands, the plan for this course is to be in-person. FilmNorth will be monitoring the state of Covid and making decisions about safety as the situation unfolds. This course may be adapted to an online format if things are deemed unsafe.
Atlas O. Phoenix is an award-winning director, writer, editor, and producer in the twin cities. Atlas has made film work since 2000. A recent recipient of two grants, they are currently creating a documentary, Beautiful Boi, which is about their transition at 50 and their 40+ year mental health journey. Atlas feels it is an honor to light a path for youth to express themselves creatively through filmmaking.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Director; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Director, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.