- This event has passed.
Short Cuts (Online, Ages 10-12)
Starts July 19
Monday–Friday, July 19-23, 9am-12pm
The perfect camp for the future director! Students will create two short films over the course of the week. You’ll be introduced to the filmmaking process through an introductory artist’s statement film, then add further production value in creating short video poems. You’ll learn how to develop and storyboard a film idea, direct and shoot a production with resources and technology you have at home, and edit with Adobe Premiere Pro CC. No previous experience necessary.
Students should have their iPhone or Android phone (and charger) with at least 3GB of space available. iPads are also welcome. Students will need access to a desktop or laptop computer with a 1-week free trial of Adobe Premiere Pro CC installed. Other free video editing options students can download are iMovie (Mac), DaVinci Resolve, and HitFilm Express (Mac and PC).
NOTE: Participation in this online camp requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance, it is highly recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. For extra security, a few days prior to the class start date we’ll e-mail you the link, ID, and password needed to access this class on Zoom. The instructor will be provided a student roster to take attendance. Click here for a tutorial on how to join a Zoom meeting and much more.
Jordan Lee Thompson is a media/narrative artist and educator who has been working with digital media production since he was twelve years old, starting with stop-motion Lego animations. Jordan spent almost five years running programs for youth filmmakers and animators – who earned regional and national accolades – and currently teaches environmental justice with high schoolers at the Science Museum of Minnesota and video editing for community members at SPEAK MPLS. The rest of his work time is spent making video, animation, and occasionally theater performance to support artists and activists in building the future he wants to live in.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Manager; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Manager, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.