Starts August 28
Ages 14-17. August 28-September 1, 1:00-5:00 pm
The perfect camp for the future director! Students will create two short films over the course of the week. You’ll be introduced to the filmmaking process through an introductory artist’s statement film, then add further production value in creating video poem shorts. You’ll learn how to develop and storyboard a film idea, direct and shoot a production with professional gear, and edit with Adobe Premiere Pro on iMacs. No previous experience necessary.
Robert Ndondo-Lay joined FilmNorth as Youth Program Director in 2023 subsequent to teaching at Cristo Rey Jesuit High School Twin Cities and several LAUSD schools. As an alumnus of USC’s Film and Television Production M.F.A. and the University of Minnesota where he researched the correlation between cast diversity and highly profitable commercial successes, he is a strong proponent of arts education and community resourcing for underrepresented artisans. Robert possesses over seven years of youth mentorship and professional development experience, informed by diverse industry practice and a multifaceted education including film + media arts theory and physical production. Committed to cinematic endeavors that progress and invigorate the medium, Robert has assisted culture and youth media education programs (e.g. USC Cinematography Summer Program, FilmNorth Fall 2023 Diversity Report, African American Accelerated Learning Academy Camp) as both an educator and independent filmmaker with reverence for innovative classic and contemporary works.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Director; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.
FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM