- This event has passed.
Starts August 29
Ages 10-13. August 29-September 2, 9am-12pm
The perfect camp for the future director! Students will create two short films over the course of the week. You’ll be introduced to the filmmaking process through an introductory artist’s statement film, then add further production value in creating video poem shorts. You’ll learn how to develop and storyboard a film idea, direct and shoot a production with professional gear, and edit with Adobe Premiere Pro on iMacs. No previous experience necessary.
A note about Covid: As it stands, the plan for this course is to be in-person. FilmNorth will be monitoring the state of Covid and making decisions about safety as the situation unfolds. This course may be adapted to an online format if things are deemed unsafe. Should this course be adapted to an online format, students will need access to: their iPhone or Android phone (and charger) with at least 3GB of space available. iPads are also welcome. Students will need access to a desktop or laptop computer with a 1-week free trial of Adobe Premiere Pro CC installed. Other free video editing options students can download are iMovie (Mac), DaVinci Resolve, and HitFilm Express (Mac and PC).
Kevin Kalla is a youth arts educator with over 15 years of experience in the field. He has developed award-winning youth media programs that are creatively engaging, inclusive, and that foster authentic expression. He believes in the power of media to tell stories, bring people together, and create positive change in our world. In addition to his work as a media educator, Kevin has worked extensively as a freelance editor, videographer, and director in community media. He holds a BA in Communications, with a focus on critical theory and the media, from Macalester College.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Education Director; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.