Sound Design for Film
Starts April 14
3 sessions: Wednesdays, April 14-28, 7–9pm
This online course is for anyone looking to create original sounds for application to film. The concentration is on sound design concepts, production, and practical application for use in film and video. Foley recording, sampling, and synthesis will all be employed to produce professional sound effects, ambiences, and sonic environments that fit our visual media.
The instructor will be using Ableton Live 11 to demonstrate application of audio design concepts and production techniques covered. Students are encouraged to download a free version for Mac or PC here. Any digital audio workstation that includes Logic, ProTools, Audacity, or FL Studio, is also fine for this course. Students also need headphones.
Participants may share their own video shorts that need audio refinement during class. There are no prerequisites for this course – all levels welcomed.
- Timbre: the 3 dimensions of sound
- Synthesis and sampling fundamentals
- Sound creation with virtual instruments
- MIDI workflows: sequencing and arranging notation to visual cues
- Additive, subtractive, and FM synthesis
- Sampling, sequencing and harmonizing audio recordings
- Sound processing with effects
- Perceived loudness control with saturation of the spectrum
- Spatialization and dynamics for film music in stereo or surround
- Creating ambience and realism with frequency and time-based effects
NOTE: Participation in this online course requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance it is recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. We’ll e-mail you a course reminder and Zoom link a few days prior to the first session. Click here for a Zoom tutorial.
Tuition: $130 / $105 low-income
James Patrick is a Minneapolis-based music producer, composer, label owner, entrepreneur, and educator. He has over 20 years of professional experience performing at and directing historically significant electronic music events in the Minneapolis area. A pilot member of the Ableton Trainer Certification program, James participated in the first wave of trainer certifications and has been a critical force among the user base in the US. After more than a decade of teaching synthesis and sound design at various institutions including NYC’s Dubspot and Minneapolis’ Institute for Production and Recording, James cofounded Slam Academy in 2012, an Electronic Music School and Ableton Certified Training Center. James uses his professional involvement in both academic and popular electronic realms to unite the creative energy, ideas, and people of his community.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.