- This event has passed.
Starts June 26
Ages 11-14. June 26-30, 9:00 am-12:00 pm
Storefronts and alleyways; reflections and shadows; people and the mystery of life as it unfolds before us! Let’s hit the streets with our cameras! We’ll look at the pictures of a wide variety of photographers to become acquainted with formal elements of art and to discuss different ways of approaching street photography. (Do we spy? Do we ask permission?) Henri Cartier-Bresson, Berenice Abbott, Walker Evans, and Weegee are just some of the many artists that will inspire us. We’ll travel by foot and public transit to explore with our cameras.
The camp will focus on picture making, but you’ll also learn how to sort through your photograph collection in Adobe Lightroom, and how to use basic Photoshop techniques to complete your artistic vision (iMacs provided). Objectives include learning manual camera settings, framing shots in-camera, utilizing compositional elements like lines, angle, and symmetry, an awareness of lighting effects, and basic photo editing skills. Please bring each day a DSLR camera (with manual settings), a minimum 4GB memory card, charged battery, and at least one lens. Bus fare or a Go-To card will be needed 3 of the 5 days.
Stephanie Colgan is a picture maker who also experiments with sound. She recently earned her MFA from Bard College at the International Center of Photography in Manhattan. Her editorial work has been published in a variety of publications including The New York Times, Harper’s Bazaar, Paper Magazine and Spin. Her artwork has been exhibited most recently at The International Center of Photography and the Center for Contemporary Art in Bedminster, New Jersey. Stephanie loves music, books, incisive fictional stories about domestic life, vintage clothing, and fashion in general.
Camp Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 5 days prior to the start date of a camp, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 5 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid by cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another camp if scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first camp session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of a camp start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given.
- Tuition is not prorated for missed camp sessions.
- The FILMNORTH CAMP PARENT/GUARDIAN RELEASE FORM and FILMNORTH CAMP APPEARANCE RELEASE FORM must be completed and submitted prior to the start of the first camp session. A new set of forms must be completed for each camp. Please print, complete and return the two PDF forms below by: 1) emailing them to the Youth Programs Director; or 2) mailing them via regular postal delivery to Youth Programs Manager, FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street #120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. You may also bring completed forms with you when you check your child in the first camp session. Students are not permitted to attend camps without signed forms.