- This event has passed.
The Showstopper Portrait [In-Person]
Starts May 7
2 sessions: Saturday-Sunday, May 7-8, 10am-5pm
Calling beginning to intermediate level photographers who want to learn how to make better portraits! Up for some friendly competition? Then this portrait lighting workshop designed in the spirit of The Great British Bake Off is for you!
Day 1, we’ll start by using natural light to get a better understanding of lens choice, depth of field, and shutter speed. After we get those basics down, we’ll bring out the continuous light sources (Mole Richardson). Using flags, cutters, and grids you’ll learn to sculpt light and shadow, creating dramatic and beautiful portraits. After lunch, we’ll bust out the more modern gear: strobes, softboxes, and dishes, and you’ll learn how to shape light with those tools.
Day 2 is our “Great Minnesotan Portrait Off”! We’ll start with a 1-hour competition using natural light. Then we’ll have a technical challenge using the continuous light sources. We’ll break for lunch then check out our results, sharing positive feedback. The grip gloves are off for the final challenge: the Showstopper Portrait! Working within some thematic parameters, you (or your team) will create the best images you can using any of the gear and techniques you’ve learned. We’ll wrap up with a review and vote for our favorite showstopping portrait.
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 guidance for Ramsey County:
- Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19.
- People may choose to mask at any time.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Free masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Tuition: $275 regular | 215 member | $170 low-income
Ted Hall is a Minneapolis-based commercial and fine art photographer. He’s been making stunning images for over twenty years. Ted brings joy, humor, and image-making expertise to each assignment. He’s got the gear and the tech, but most importantly, Ted’s loves working with people. When image creation is fun, it shows in the shots. In addition to studio photography, Ted has been working with outdoor adventure and environmental education groups (Friends of the BWCA and Friends of Fakahatchee).
Ted is also an award-winning film director with a background in acting. This experience helps him bring out the best in others.
“Ask Ranger Mike,” Ted’s current project, takes place in the Florida Everglades. This is a collaborative venture with renowned biologist and park ranger, Mike Owen.
“In the end, we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand and we will understand only what we are taught.” ― Baba Dioum
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.