FilmNorth offers nearly 100 courses each year in the art, business, and technology of media making. FilmNorth’s annual Forum and Master Classes connect media artists to industry leaders and innovators from around the country. “Best Filmmaking Classes and Workshops in Minnesota” –WCCO/CBS MN.
I absolutely loved David Grant’s screenwriting class and will definitely take another in the future. His depth and range of knowledge of the craft and the business has opened my eyes to many new ways of understanding a story, a character, and a film. This has been a pivotal course for me and I couldn’t imagine learning from anyone other than Mr. Grant. I am so happy with all the courses I’ve taken thus far at FilmNorth! –Melanie Lorísdóttir (pictured above)
Our facility provides a friendly, casual, and fun teaching environment that fosters interaction among instructors and participants. We keep the enrollment limit low on most classes. Our skilled and experienced instructors are working industry professionals who genuinely enjoy teaching and make every effort to ensure that each student’s needs and goals are met.
By registering for a FilmNorth class you are agreeing to our Community Values Statement.
FilmNorth offers a low-income tuition price option for classes and workshops. We define a low-income household as follows:
- Household of one with a total annual income of $25,000 or less
- Household of two or more with a total annual income of $45,000 or less
A limited number of scholarships are available. Click here for guidelines and scholarship application.
Class Completion Acknowledgment
FilmNorth offers nonaccredited class completion acknowledgment for any course in recognition of student attendance and participation. Please notify your instructor at the first class session if this is desired. You will be expected to attend all sessions, and complete any applicable course work.
FilmNorth Class Registration Guidelines
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those needing to cancel a registration at least 7 days prior to the first class session, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received less than 7 days prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to the first class session, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.
Covid Safety Policy for In-Person Classes & Events
FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Masks are available for students who need them (one mask per student per class).
Participation in FilmNorth online classes requires use of the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance we recommend that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. We will e-mail students a course reminder and Zoom link a few days prior to the first session. Click here for a Zoom tutorial.