FilmNorth offers nearly 100 courses each year in the art, business, and technology of media making. FilmNorth’s annual Forum and Master Classes connect media artists to industry leaders and innovators from around the country. “Best Filmmaking Classes and Workshops in Minnesota” –WCCO/CBS MN.
I absolutely loved David Grant’s screenwriting class and will definitely take another in the future. His depth and range of knowledge of the craft and the business has opened my eyes to many new ways of understanding a story, a character, and a film. This has been a pivotal course for me and I couldn’t imagine learning from anyone other than Mr. Grant. I am so happy with all the courses I’ve taken thus far at FilmNorth! –Melanie Lorísdóttir (pictured above)
Our facility provides a casual, intimate teaching environment that fosters direct interaction with instructors and classmates. We keep the enrollment limit low on most classes for this reason. Our experienced, skilled instructors are working professionals in the industry who genuinely enjoy teaching. They make every effort to ensure that each student’s individual needs are met while providing a fun and relaxed educational experience.
To ensure COVID safety for in-person classes, students and instructors are required to show proof of full vaccination OR a negative PCR Covid test taken within 72 hours (for every class session) and wear masks.
Click on the image below to view the short documentary produced by our spring 2016 Documentary Production class, Carl Eller – The Hunt for Self-Expression, official selection, 2017 Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival.
Carl Eller meets with FilmNorth students at his home.
FilmNorth offers a low-income tuition price option for classes and workshops. We define a low-income household as follows:
- Household of one with a total annual income of $25,000 or less
- Household of two or more with a total annual income of $45,000 or less
A limited number of scholarships are available. Click here for guidelines and scholarship application.
Class Completion Acknowledgment
FilmNorth offers nonaccredited class completion acknowledgment for any course in recognition of student attendance and participation. Please notify your instructor at the first class session if this is desired. You will be expected to attend all sessions, and complete any applicable course work.
FilmNorth Class Registration Guidelines
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.