iPhone Photography – Shooting & Composition
Starts February 18
1 session: Saturday, February 18, 9am-3pm
Wish you could take better photos? It’s true that we’re all photographers now, but so many of our photos aren’t as good as they could be. In this beginning-level workshop, you’ll learn tips and tricks for taking better photos with your iPhone, and how to make images that are effective, meaningful, and beautiful.
We’ll also discuss composition, which is the single most important thing to master in order to become a better photographer. You’ll learn 10 composition rules—some geared specifically for iPhone photography—that will have all your friends clicking “like” on all your photos.
Things to know:
- No previous photography experience required.
- Although we will spend some time shooting together this is mostly a presentation and lecture workshop—using hundreds of the instructor’s own iPhone photos as examples—with plenty of time for Q&A.
- This workshop is specifically geared to the iPhone, but all platforms are welcome.
- There is a lunch break.
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Tuition: $185 regular | $140 member | $105 low-income
Eric Mueller is an artist, photographer, and teacher. Known for his graphic style and strength in composition, his photographs have been exhibited in dozens of group shows, including at the Plains Art Museum, the Devos Art Museum, the Midwest Center for Photography, Head On Photo Festival, the Southeast Center for Photography, and the Columbus Museum of Art. He has been recognized with awards by American Photography, The Photo Review, the iPhone Photography Awards, and the Mobile Photography Awards. He has over 40,000 followers on Instagram.
Mueller’s first photography book, Family Resemblance, was recently published by Daylight Books. The project—which documents and celebrates people who are genetically related and bear a strong resemblance to each other—was inspired by seeing a photograph of his birth mother for the first time.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.