- This event has passed.
Stories 55: iPhone Photography
Starts November 4
In-person. 1 session: Saturday, November 4, 9:30 am-3:30 pm
Do you love taking pictures but struggle to get good photos when shooting with your phone? In this workshop for 55+ adults, we’ll go over the basics of using your iPhone’s camera, including tips and tricks for taking better photos. We’ll review the optimum settings for taking pictures, and also learn several fun and easy rules of composition to take your photos to the next level. All of this is done in a friendly and supportive environment, with plenty of time for questions. There is a lunch break.
Eric is so organized and prepared and structured class material in a really thoughtful way. He presented many good visuals to help explain the material. —Summer 2020 student
Clear instructions, with examples of instructor’s own work to illustrate. Enthusiasm and willingness to answer questions in detail. —Summer 2020 student
About Stories 55
Recognizing that older adults’ experiences, perspectives, and stories are of great value and important to share, FilmNorth launched our Stories 55 Program in 2019 to provide low-cost narrative and documentary filmmaking courses that include a social component to encourage relationship-building among the participants – a true arts learning experience where students are challenged to put a critical eye to their work, as well as to the work of their classmates. We’re excited to now offer this opportunity through a photography workshop for the first time.
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
Tuition: $80 regular | $60 member | $45 low-income
Eric Mueller is an artist, photographer, and teacher. Known for his graphic style and strength in composition, his photographs have been exhibited in dozens of group shows, including at the Plains Art Museum, the Devos Art Museum, the Midwest Center for Photography, Head On Photo Festival, the Southeast Center for Photography, and the Columbus Museum of Art. He has been recognized with awards by American Photography, The Photo Review, the iPhone Photography Awards, and the Mobile Photography Awards. He has over 40,000 followers on Instagram.
Mueller’s first photography book, Family Resemblance, was recently published by Daylight Books. The project—which documents and celebrates people who are genetically related and bear a strong resemblance to each other—was inspired by seeing a photograph of his birth mother for the first time.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those needing to cancel a registration at least 7 days prior to the first class session, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received less than 7 days prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to the first class session, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.
- By registering for this FilmNorth class you are agreeing to our Community Values Statement.