How to Utilize Sound in Visual Storytelling
Starts November 19
In-person. 1 session: Sunday, November 19, 10:00 am-5:00 pm
Approaching Sound Design is often a step that is overlooked in the indie film world, especially for emerging writers and directors who haven’t been through the process before. However, sound is a powerful tool when used in a way that tells a story, whether it’s the story of the main character or of the world being lived in. In this workshop we’ll dive into the ways we can utilize sound to not only bring your projects to the next level, but ultimately find creative ways to support and tell the story. This workshop is open to all levels – from beginners to more experienced filmmakers who are looking to work with a sound designer in the near future. There is a lunch break.
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
Tuition: $185 regular | $140 member | $105 low-income
Chris Code is a freelance sound designer, owning the post-production audio company Decoded Audio, based in Minneapolis. He has been freelancing since 2018, previously working as a recording engineer with Audio Ruckus, specializing in recording voiceover and ADR for film, television, and advertising. Chris studied film editing at the University of Montana before finishing his degree in Sound Design for Visual Media. Most recently, he was the Sound Effects Editor on The Infernal Machine, a psychological thriller written by Andrew Hunt and distributed by Paramount Pictures.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those needing to cancel a registration at least 7 days prior to the first class session, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received less than 7 days prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to the first class session, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.
- By registering for this FilmNorth class you are agreeing to our Community Values Statement.