- This event has passed.
Cinematography Boot Camp [ONLINE]
Starts August 21
2 sessions: Saturday-Sunday, August 21-22, 9am-12pm CDT
Thinking about picking up a camera and filming a story? You’ll first need to realize the purpose behind your shots, understand the principles of lighting and composition, and how your choice in gear affects your footage. In this online workshop you’ll learn about the Film Look and how to achieve it with various cameras (Canon C100, Sony FS7, and more), framing and lenses, rigs and tools for camera motion, and proper lighting.
- The Film Look: what contributes?
- Camera tech: sensors, dynamic range, color depth, lens mounts
- Framing your shots and aspect ratios
- Lenses: primes vs. zooms, cinema vs. photo
- Rig options: how to use tripods, handheld, sliders, cranes, gimbals
- Lighting: hard vs. soft, control and modifiers, interviews
NOTE: Participation in this online course requires that you use the free Zoom cloud-based video conferencing service. For optimal performance it is recommended that you install Zoom on your computer rather than running it from a web browser. We’ll e-mail you a course reminder and Zoom link a few days prior to the first session. Click here for a Zoom tutorial.
Tuition: $130 | $100 low-income
Jeremy Wilker, owner of TWEAK Digital, loves making moving images and has created works—in documentary, commercial, narrative, and political forms—for businesses and organizations near (Golden Valley) and far (Hong Kong). He has run or assisted several successful Kickstarter campaigns, consults and trains on live streaming, workflow, software, and crowdfunding, and previously spent many years in the print and graphics world. Jeremy is a longtime FilmNorth member and serves on the FilmNorth board. He has also served on the Professional Advisory Board of the University of Wisconsin–Stout, and volunteered with film festivals. When he isn’t creating imagery, Jeremy might be found geeking out with board games, snowboarding, or playing with his two children.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.