- This event has passed.
Creative iPhone Photography: Shooting & Editing Portraits [In-Person]
Starts May 14
1 session: Saturday, May 14, 1-5pm
Do you wish you could take better photos of your friends and family? In this workshop you’ll learn how to bring your photography to the next level, whether you’re shooting formal portraits or casual snapshots.
This beginning-level workshop consists of presentation, demonstration, and hands-on shooting experience. First, we’ll learn about light and the crucial role it plays in portrait photography, talking about hard and soft light, why direction of light matters to your photography, and how to make the most of available light.
We’ll also see demonstrations of how you can effectively and affordably modify light to get better photos of your friends and family, and how you can create your own DIY light kit. And we’ll talk about options for buying lighting kits and modifiers, and which ones would be best for a budding portrait photographer.
Then we’ll spend some time shooting together, getting experience making portraits under varying lighting conditions. We’ll work with artificial light in the classroom, and then head outside (weather permitting) to work with natural light.
Finally, we’ll spend some time learning about which apps are best for editing portraits, and how to quickly and easily touch up photos right on your iPhone.
No experience necessary for this workshop, but you’ll need an iPhone, and you should also download the Snapseed app before class. Android phones also welcome! Nearly all the content is appropriate for non-iPhone users.
NOTE: this in-person course will be held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 guidance for Ramsey County:
- Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19.
- People may choose to mask at any time.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Free masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Tuition: $105 regular | $80 member | $60 low-income
Eric Mueller is an artist, photographer, and teacher. Known for his graphic style and strength in composition, his photographs have been exhibited in dozens of group shows, including at the Plains Art Museum, the Devos Art Museum, the Midwest Center for Photography, Head On Photo Festival, the Southeast Center for Photography, and the Columbus Museum of Art. He has been recognized with awards by American Photography, The Photo Review, the iPhone Photography Awards, and the Mobile Photography Awards. He has over 40,000 followers on Instagram.
Mueller’s first photography book, Family Resemblance, was recently published by Daylight Books. The project—which documents and celebrates people who are genetically related and bear a strong resemblance to each other—was inspired by seeing a photograph of his birth mother for the first time.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.