- This event has passed.
Documentary Editing & Structure
Starts April 22
In-person. 1 session: Saturday, April 22, 10:00 am-3:00 pm
Most documentary directors and editors are familiar with the moment, after the shooting is complete, that they sit down in front of a mountain of material and think, Now what? The process of editing can be intimidating, and structuring your material is the key to successfully sharing your vision. Having a plan helps you to know not only what is essential, but what may be distracting to the overall project. In addition to general procedural tips we we’ll explore various approaches to structuring documentaries, including some strategies borrowed from fiction. There is a short lunch break.
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Tuition: $105 regular | $80 member | $60 low-income
Julie Parroni, MFA Maryland College Institute of Art, is a documentary film editor and multi-media artist who has taught media production and editing at University of Wisconsin-Madison and Howard University in Washington DC.
Prior to teaching, Parroni worked for over 20 years as a documentary film editor in New York City. Her professional career has been devoted to documentary with a few exceptions. She has worked with diverse directors on a wide range of projects for public, network and cable television, movie theaters, and museums. Throughout her career, she has worked in all phases of production, from research and pre-production to videography and sound recording, to picture and sound editing.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.