- This event has passed.
Introduction to Adobe After Effects
Starts February 10
In-person. 2 sessions: Saturday-Sunday, February 10-11, 10:00 am-4:00 pm
After Effects is the leading software for producing cutting-edge motion graphics and visual effects. This course will take us from navigating the interface, importing or creating your own assets and objects, to the basics of animating those objects. Then we will dive into learning about compositing, green screen removal, and the basics of visual effects. iMacs provided; students with PC laptops are welcome. Students should bring headphones or earbuds for lab time, plus a hard drive or 32GB USB flash drive if they wish to back up course files. If possible, please watch The 12 Principles of Animation with Emanuele Colombo prior to the first class session. There is a lunch break each session.
Session 1 – General Intro & Motion Design Intro
- Introductions and tour of user interface setup
- Assets & keyframes (your first animation!)
- Shape Layers
- File-saving structure
- Principles of animation
- Keyframes: easing and interpolation
- Masks & mattes
Session 2 – AE Expanded & VFX Intro
- Comps, precomps, & expressions
- Effects panel
- 2.5D & green screen removal
- Motion tracking for visual effects
- Compositing assets
- Complex masking/object removal
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
Tuition: $245 regular | $195 member | $155 low-income
Originally from Boston, MA, Neil Tuli has worked in the film and animation industries across the country since 2011. Starting on set for the films Ted and American Hustle, he spent several years freelancing as both an editor and motion designer before moving to Los Angeles and into production management. Neil then spent five years in strategy helping studios—including Illumination and Netflix—invest in animation technology for feature films. More recently, Neil moved to the Twin Cities with his family and wrote a SAG-signatory film he is currently directing.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those needing to cancel a registration at least 7 days prior to the first class session, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received less than 7 days prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to the first class session, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.
- By registering for this FilmNorth class you are agreeing to our Community Values Statement.