- This event has passed.
Neutral Scene: On-Camera Scene Study
Starts November 18
In-person. 1 session: Saturday, November 18, 10:00 am-5:00 pm
This on-camera acting workshop is designed for beginning and newer actors, plus stage actors looking to make the transition from stage to screen. Each participant will examine relationship, circumstance, and conflict with a scene partner, infusing a neutral text with stakes and intention. Using moment to moment work, we’ll analyze the essential and vital skills of powerful, confident acting, while applying it to the physical constraints and intimacy of the camera. Practically, we’ll explore on-camera auditions, self-tapes, and also discuss the technical vernacular and responsibilities of being on an actual set. There is a lunch break.
Great class and instructor. Loved that she is currently working as an actor and her info is relevant. —Spring 2023 student
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
Tuition: $185 regular | $140 member | $105 low-income
A New York City transplant, Erin Roberts is an actor, teacher, and coach. Locally, Erin won a Broadway World Nomination and an Audience Pick Award for her performance in My 4 Bodies, a one-woman show in the 2018 MN Fringe Festival, and stars in the web series Fem 101 featured on Seeka.tv. Highlighted and award-winning credits include: Thirst (Best Actress, 2022 Kathmandu Independent Film Festival); (mis)placed (Audience Choice Series, 2022 MN Webfest); The Corn Maiden (Favorite Supporting Actor, 2008 New York International Fringe Festival); ESPN’s The Bronx Is Burning; Law and Order SVU; The Good Wife; Lady Dynamite; The Royal Tenenbaums; Celebrity; and MLB Fan Cave’s Boston Ink.
Erin holds a BA in Directing from Smith College, an MFA in Acting from Penn State University, and has studied with The National Theatre Institute, The Royal Shakespeare Company, and York University in Toronto Canada. A proud member of Actors’ Equity Association, Erin currently teaches acting and directing classes at Minneapolis College, The Guthrie Theater, FilmNorth, Lost Forty Studios, Upper Midwest Film Office, and various other private studios. She is one the founders of Crisis Actors of Minnesota, which uses professional actors and role play improvisation to empower people with crucial skills and tools that promote non-violent conflict resolution. CAMN strives to recognize and normalize mental health issues and help navigate inclusivity within communities. Please see more and reach out at www.erin-roberts.com and www.crisisactorsmn.com
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those needing to cancel a registration at least 7 days prior to the first class session, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received less than 7 days prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to the first class session, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.
- By registering for this FilmNorth class you are agreeing to our Community Values Statement.