Neutral Scene: On-Camera Scene Study
Starts April 17
In-person. 8 sessions: Mondays, April 17-June 12 (no class May 29), 6:00-9:00 pm
This on-camera acting course is designed for beginning and newer actors, plus stage actors looking to make the transition from stage to screen. Each participant will explore relationship, circumstance, and conflict with a scene partner, infusing a neutral text with stakes and intention. Using moment to moment work, we’ll analyze the essential and vital skills of powerful, confident acting while applying it to the physical constraints and intimacy of the camera. The final class session will be spent filming our scenes for a family and friends screening at FilmNorth, tentatively the following week.
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
- Masks are available for students who need them (one per student per class).
Tuition: $335 regular | $250 member | $190 low-income
Erin Roberts has worked regionally with Pillsbury House and Chicago Avenue Project, Swandive Theatre, The Public Theatre, Ensemble Studio Theatre, The Eugene O’Neil Theatre Center, Shakespeare and Co., The Dorset Theatre Festival, The Theatre at Monmouth, …blessed unrest…, Pennsylvania Center Stage, Flock Theatre, Improbable Fiction, The Minneapolis Fringe and was voted “Favorite Supporting Actor” in the New York International Fringe Festival.
Film and television credits include ESPN’s The Bronx Is Burning, Law and Order SVU, The Good Wife, Lady Dynamite, The Royal Tenenbaums, Celebrity, and MLB Fan Cave’s “Boston Ink.” She has several commercials currently running and has done much print work, live events, and modeling. Currently in Minneapolis, she is a role player with MNCIT and ProCrisis, and in the summer works as the Saint Paul on-field correspondent.
Erin has a Bachelor of Arts in Directing from Smith College, and a Master of Fine Arts in Acting from Penn State University. She has studied with The National Theatre Institute, The Royal Shakespeare Company, and is a member of The Guthrie Theatre’s Actor’s Workout.
She has taught various acting, voice and movement classes at Penn State, Queens College, and has been a guest artist at AMDA, Northern Stage Company, Improbable Fiction, Invisible City Theatre Company, Laguardia High School for the Performing Arts, and does workshops and private coaching. She currently teaches Meisner Technique, Scene Study, “The Monologue Audition Intensive,” and “On Camera Audition Basics,” and is casting and guest lecturing for Minneapolis College.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those wishing to cancel a registration prior to the class registration deadline, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received after the registration deadline but prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to a class start date, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.