- This event has passed.
Stories 55: Introduction to Visual Storytelling
Starts November 1
In-person. 1 session: Wednesday, November 1, 1:00-4:00 pm
Designed with cautiously curious technophobes in mind, this fun, enlightening workshop for 55+ individuals will explore an array of filmmaking strategies through an introduction to the basic processes and artistic principles used in filmmaking. Participants will be introduced to a variety of cinematic practices deployed in theatrical production. Through light study of the tools that filmmakers employ every day, and history’s pioneers who did so the best, the workshop will start the wisened and wide-eyed cinephile down the path towards film analysis and construction. You’ll experience hands-on play in the basic use of elementary video cameras and tripods, becoming familiar with the theory and practice of basic techniques. And you’ll leave with a completed short film!
About Stories 55
Recognizing that older adults’ experiences, perspectives, and stories are of great value and important to share, FilmNorth launched our Stories 55 Program in 2019 to provide low-cost narrative and documentary filmmaking courses that include a social component to encourage relationship-building among the participants – a true arts learning experience where students are challenged to put a critical eye to their work, as well as to the work of their classmates. We’re excited to now offer this opportunity through a photography workshop for the first time.
NOTE: this in-person course is held at FilmNorth, 550 Vandalia Street, Suite 120, Saint Paul, MN 55114. FilmNorth is following CDC’s current COVID-19 variant guidance for Ramsey County:
- People may choose to mask at any time. Masks are recommended for those who are unvaccinated, immunocompromised, or at high-risk for complications associated with COVID-19 variants.
- People with any COVID-19 symptoms, a positive test, or exposure to someone with COVID-19 should stay home.
Tuition: $45 regular | $35 member | $25 low-income
Peter Grendle loves art. After a BA in Moving Image Arts from the College of Santa Fe, Grendle crewed numerous New Mexico film productions including No Country for Old Men, joined the faculty at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design, and made the backyard horror film Blood Soaked, which scored the Audience Choice Award at the Pollygrind Film Festival and a DVD pressing from Wild Eye Releasing. Upon receiving a Communicator Award, a Best Theater Manager distinction from the Santa Fe Reporter, and an Unsung Hero of the Arts achievement from the Santa Fe New Mexican, Grendle retired from nearly 20 years of managing every art-house cinema in Santa Fe, NM and moved with his family to the Twin Cities in hopes of finally seeing the aurora borealis in person.
Class Registration Guidelines & Cancellation Policy
- Space is assigned on a first-come basis. Registrations must include payment in full. Registrations are accepted after registration deadlines if space is available.
- If minimum enrollment has not been reached by 7 days prior to the start date of a class, FilmNorth may cancel it, in which case registrants will immediately be notified and receive a full refund within 2 business days. A check will be issued for registrations that were paid in cash. In lieu of a refund, students have the option of applying their tuition to another class scheduled in the same calendar year.
- For those needing to cancel a registration at least 7 days prior to the first class session, 100% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. For registration cancellations received less than 7 days prior to the first class session, 50% of the tuition will be refunded minus a $25 administrative fee. As of 5:00 pm the day prior to the first class session, no refunds or credits/exchanges will be given (Friday at 5:00 pm for Sunday classes).
- Tuition is not prorated for missed class sessions.
- By registering for this FilmNorth class you are agreeing to our Community Values Statement.